As we are getting closer to Christmas, I thought I would share another great recipe for you to adorn your winter table with i.e.. Roasted carrots done in beer and honey!
The carrots go really tender using this roasting method. And the sweetness of the root vegetable is really enhanced. They are buttery, slightly beery and very delicious!
We still have carrots in the garden, and you can tell these are homegrown by the little kinks and bends, which I find cute, rather than off putting.
They won’t be growing anymore in the cold earth, but they are safe to stay in the ground and overwinter, unless we get a very hard bout of frost.
Beer and Honey Glazed Carrots
500g/17oz carrots with tops
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp butter
4 sprigs thyme
70ml/2.4 fl oz beer
3 tbsp honey
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/fan 200 /gas mark 6.
2. Chop off the leafy carrot tops and scrub well, paying attention to the tops, so you remove any dirt and sand.
3. Toss the carrots in the olive oil, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the carrots on a rimmed baking tray together with the sprigs of fresh thyme and knobs of butter. Bake for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile prepare the glaze by mixing the beer with the honey.
5. Remove the carrots from the oven and drizzle on the glaze. Toss to coat and place the carrots back into the oven for 10-12 more minutes.